Mitigation - what is it?

Watch our handy video about mitigation


What is mitigation?

We can help you to mitigate when something out of your control takes place which might impact on your ability to complete your course to the best of your ability. We aim to help you so that your performance in coursework, exams and presentations is not adversely affected. You should submit mitigation within 10 working days of an assignment deadline. This can be 10 days before the deadline or 10 days after the deadline. If you have missed this deadline, you might still be able to make an appeal. 

Why might I need to mitigate?

You may be able to mitigate if:

  • you have missed a coursework deadline
  • you have missed an exam
  • you have missed a presentation
  • you have not performed to the best of your ability in a piece of coursework or in an exam.

If there are circumstances beyond your control that mean that these things happened, then you may be able to mitigate.

What sort of circumstances mean that I should mitigate?

You should mitigate under the following circumstances:

  • If you are ill (physical illness or mental illness)
  • Severe financial hardship (many students find managing their money difficult - here we're looking at more extreme cases)
  • Loss of a relative
  • Homelessness
  • Other serious unforeseen situations.

If this applies to you, it may be wise to visit ULWSU's advice service where we can help you complete your mitigation.


What sort of evidence should I collect to prove my situation is real?

It will depend on your own individual circumstances, which will be unique. Some examples of evidence which may be useful include:

  • doctor's notes
  • death certificates
  •  letters written by professionals on paper with a letterhead

Any evidence provided must be in English and must cover the affected dates of your exam, presentation, coursework or assessment. 

How do I complete a mitigation?

You can either:

Don't forget to include a personal statement about the situation, stating what you hope to achieve.

Can somebody check my form?

We are happy to check over your mititgation form here at UWLSU advice service, before you submit.

Where do I submit my form?

Email and wait for a response


Powered by

Registered Office: University of West London Students' Union, St Mary's Road, London W5 5RF
Registered in England Company Number: 8158543
Registered Charity Number: 1148594