When considering a referral to UWLSU Advice:
1. First, identify how the Students' Union can help the student, keeping in mind the Advice Service focuses on Academic advice in the following areas:
• Disciplinary Interviews
• Fitness To Practice Hearings
You can refer to the online guides for each of the above on our website.
2. It is sometimes desirable to discuss the possibility of referral with UWLSU Advice before the problem becomes urgent.
3. Ensure the student understands the reason for the referral. The student must understand why you are passing their case to UWLSU Advice. Explore the students’ readiness for referral. Have they expressed interest in specialist help? Are they afraid of seeing another helper? Do we frighten students with the implication of the severity of their problem? Remember to explain the confidentiality policy to the student.
4. Provide the student with detailed information about the Students’ Union and what our role is. The student should be comfortable with what to expect from the service. Be fair in the explaining of the advice service by citing the possibilities and the limitations of our service. The advice service operates on a self-help basis and the student needs to be proactive.
5. Refer the relevant details of the case to firstname.lastname@example.org – this email account is only staffed by UWLSU Advice staff.
6. Obtain written authorisation from the student by completing the Referral form, containing the Advice Service contact details, and making copies of relevant documents. (Do not release information to the Advice Service without permission from the student). Explain to the student that they will need to arrange an appointment with SU Advice Service and to take the referral form with them.