What is mitigation?

Mitigation is a process that you can go through if you face circumstances beyond your control which affect your ability to study. Some examples of these situations could be: bereavement, physical and mental ill health, extreme financial hardship or eviction. Read our mitigation - what is it page? for more information.


What is the difference between a resit and a retake?

A resit is defined as attempting an assessment as a second attempt without re-enrolment on the module.

  • The module mark will be capped at 40%.  This will be 50% if you are a master’s student.

A retake is defined as a re-enrolment, re-study and re-payment of a module, including the completion of all assessments for that module. You may only retake a module once. If you are a student on a professional course funded by the NHS you may not retake modules. 

  • The marks for retaking a module are not capped.

However, if you have mitigating circumstances whilst on any course you may be able to retake modules free of charge. 


I have received a letter from the university informing me I have to attend an academic offences hearing. What does this mean?

This means that the university believes that you have breached the student code of conduct. Usually, this means that you have an allegation of plagiarism, collusion or misconduct against you. The university will expect you to explain how this has happened. Contact the students' union, who can help you prepare and read our page about academic offences for more information.  


I am unable to submit my assignment due to ill health. What shall I do?

You should submit mitigation within 10 working days of an assignment deadline. This can be 10 days before the deadline or 10 days after the deadline. Read our mitigation page to find out what to do.   

If you are unable to submit within this time period you can make an appeal. Read our appeal page for more information. 


My mitigation has been rejected, can I appeal this decision?

You are able to appeal against the decision of the mitigation board. This must be done within one month of receiving the outcome letter. In order to be eligible for an appeal you must be able to provide new evidence that was not available at the time of your previous mitigation. For more information on making an appeal head to our dedicated appeals page.


What is the process I need to follow if I want to defer?

  You should contact your personal tutor/course leader and discuss your circumstances with them. It may be that deferral is not the right decision for you, and staggered deadlines may be suggested. Please note that any adjustments will be given at your tutor’s discretion. 

For more advice on this process, please contact the students' union for an appointment. You should also contact the university student services who will be able to advise you on how your funding and visa status (if you are an international student) may be affected. You will not receive student finance or any other bursaries while you are on deferral.


I am studying Nursing and have been told I have to attend a Fitness to Practise hearing. Can you support and represent me?

The students’ union will offer support and representation to any student who is referred to fitness to practice hearing. Please read our Fitness to Practise page for more information. 


I am unhappy with the way my course is being run. What is the complaints process?

The first thing to do is to speak to your course rep. If you don't know your course rep or feel that this has not helped, please read our complaints page


Can I transfer onto a different course?

You are able to transfer onto a new course at the beginning of level 4 and 5 of your degree. This is dependent on a number of factors such as space availability, course similarity and academic ability.  These issues can be discussed with your personal tutor, so that you can be sure you are making the right decision. You must contact the university student services for information on how this decision may affect your funding. Please note that course transfer will only usually be considered within the first month of level 4 and 5 of your current course.


I am unhappy with a grade/degree classification, can I appeal this?

The academics are specialists in their field and have the knowledge and expertise to make an informed decision when deciding student grades. Students are not allowed to challenge academic judgement. If you can prove that your feedback does not relate to your work or that the module has not been run in accordance with your module study guide, you may be able to submit an academic appeal. Please be aware that these are exceptional circumstances.


I have a very sensitive case, will the students’ union share my information with the university?

The students’ union is an independent organisation that offers confidential and impartial advice to students. We will never share your information with the university or any external organisations without your consent first. In many cases, the students’ union will need to liaise with the university regarding a case. The student advisor will clearly explain this to the student and gain permission before this happens. Please be aware that our advice may be limited if we are not allowed to contact the university.

Powered by

Registered Office: University of West London Students' Union, St Mary's Road, London W5 5RF
Registered in England Company Number: 8158543
Registered Charity Number: 1148594