What role does UWLSU Advice play in supporting you?

We provide advice and guidance on how to go through processes at the University of West London. We are not involved in any part of the decision-making on your case as we are independent from the University.
Our job is to make sure you have the information and support you need to make informed choices about your case, and that the University follows its own processes.

If you need to appeal, we can give you someone to talk through your options with. We can also provide a checking service to check your appeal form and evidence. 
We are here to provide advice and support, however, you are ultimately responsible for submitting your appeal and deciding when to submit.

If you have any access requirements or support needs that would help us to better support you, you should let us know when you come for an appointment.

What is an appeal for?

Academic or assessment board decisions: if you do not believe that your assessment was conducted correctly or fairly)

Academic offences regulations: If you are unhappy with the outcome of your hearing

Withdrawals: if the university wishes to withdraw you from the course

Mitigation: if your mitigation was unsuccessful.

When should I appeal?

  • You can make an appeal if the university has not followed the correct procedure in raising a case against you.
  • You can also appeal if exceptional circumstances occurred (such as hospitalisation, which meant you could not mitigate within the 10 working day deadline).
  • you can appeal against a university mitigation rejection if there is new evidence. The students’ union can support you with this.

When can I not appeal?

Unfortunately, reasons such as "I was too embarrassed to tell the university" or "I didn't want the university knowing my personal business" cannot be accepted.

How do I submit an appeal?

  • Ensure you fill in the Appeal form (Form A). This should just be one document, so ensure you have the latest version.
  • State the decision that you are appealing against and why you're making the appeal.
  • The decision must be made within 10 working days of the original decision.
  • You must have supporting evidence either at the time of appeal or within seven calendar days.

When will I know if my appeal has been accepted?

You will receive at least five days notice for your appeal hearing.

Registered Office: University of West London Students' Union, St Mary's Road, London W5 5RF
Registered in England Company Number: 8158543
Registered Charity Number: 1148594

Powered by MSL