Skip to content


We can help you mitigate, if you have not passed an assignment or an exam, due to personal circumstances that were not considered at the time.

Male using his laptop and taking notes



Download useful documents.

What does mitigating mean for me and how can I do it?

If you are experiencing unforeseen difficulties around the time of your submission, you can apply for a mitigation. A mitigation can cover circumstances including, but not limited to physical and mental ill health or bereavement.

Applying for an extension is simple, all you need to do is complete the online extension form. Or you can fill in form M and submit it to:, alternatively you can follow the link here.

A successful mitigation will allow for you to resist the work at the next available opportunity without being capped at a pass mark

Can I self-certify for a mitigation?

Yes, if you apply for a mitigation before the deadline and you did not apply for a self-certified extension, you can self-certify for a mitigation.

This means you will not need evidence.

What do I do if I have not passed my assignment or I have not submitted my assignment?

If you feel that your result was due to your personal circumstances after the event, then you can apply for mitigation

You are only able to apply for mitigation for a failed assessment.

You can apply for mitigation by filling in a form and submitted it to:

You will need to provide evidence of your personal circumstances during the time you were submitting your assignment

If your mitigation is accepted, then you will need to contact your module leader for a new submission date.


What evidence can I use to support my application?


The evidence for your extension requests will need to cover the deadlines or time leading up to the deadlines of the assignments you are extending for and will need to support your exceptional circumstances. The following is considered as good evidence:

  • Doctor's letter or fit note
  • Statement from a counsellor/therapist that you were seeing at the time of your assignment
  • Hospital appointment letter
  • Crime reference number
  • Eviction notice Letter from the council/government
  • Similar independent evidence from a professional involved in your circumstances
  • If no other evidence is possible, a supporting statement or letter from a member of academic staff at the university or your employer

    If you are not sure what you can use as evidence, please book an appointment with the UWLSU Advice Team.