Skip to content


You can contact us if you're unhappy with any aspect of your student experience, such as your course or wellbeing.

Sabbatical Officer Ancha talking to a student

Should I come to UWLSU Advice with a complaint?

Yes. Contact us if you're unhappy with any aspect of your student experience, for example:

  • The content of your course
  • The support you’ve had with your studies
  • The teaching

We are also here to provide initial advice and signposting if you have experienced any of the following:

  • Physical or verbal abuse by other students or members of staff
  • Bullying or harassing behaviour
  • Sexual violence – including sexual harassment, assault and rape

How can you help me with a complaint?

There are 4 potential stages in the complaints process:

  1. Informal complaint
  2. Formal complaint
  3. Review (if you are unhappy with your stage two outcome)
  4. Guide you to external escalation via Complaint to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA) – if you have exhausted UWL’s complaints procedure

How UWLSU Advice can help

  • We can explore ways in which your complaint can be resolved informally if this is something you are considering.
  • We can support you to prepare and submit a formal complaint either if you have tried an informal complaint or your complaint is regarding a serious failing or serious incident (for example, physical violence, bullying or harassment).
  • If you are unhappy with your formal complaint outcome you can request a review, and we can help you to prepare and submit this.
  • If you remain unhappy with the outcome to your complaint, we can support you to take your case to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA).
  • The majority of cases are resolved at Stage I or Stage II, but we are here to help you until you receive an outcome.

How do I make a formal complaint to UWL?


Download the complaints form and explain the situation. You'll need to provide supporting evidence and state the outcome that you're seeking.


Speak to one of our advisors by calling, emailing or attending a drop-in session. We can help you prepare the complaint and support you through the process.


Email your complaint to to and wait for a response. If you're unhappy with the outcome, get back in touch with us to take it further.