West London Students’ Union (“UWLSU”, “we”, “our” or “us”) promises to respect any personal data you share with us, or that we get from other organisations and keep it safe. We aim to be clear when we collect your data and not do anything you would not reasonably expect. Developing a better understanding of our members through your personal data allows us to make better decisions, communicate more efficiently and, ultimately, helps us to reach our goal of having a positive impact with every UWL student as defined in our Charitable Objectives
WHEN DO WE COLLECT INFORMATION?
We collect your personal information when you:
- Complete an Online Membership Agreement
- Complete membership agreement in person
- Register interest in becoming a member
- Book or attend an exercise class or lesson
- Ask us for more information about a product or service, or contact us with a question or complaint
- Take part in a competition, prize draw or survey
- Visit or browse our website.
- Contact our a member of the staff team through telephone, email or social media
- You have an accident in our gyms or there was an incident where you were a witness or personally affected
- When you book classes, courses and inductions
- CCTV – when you are in either of the gyms, studio , hallways stairwells or entrance to the Sport and Fitness centre
- When our teams take photos of your attendance at the gym, part of an event or in a class (Your permission will be asked beforehand)
When using The Sport and Fitness Centre CCTV is being recorded 24 hours a day by UWL security. CCTV is actively monitored between 8am and 9am by Gym staff and UWL Security.
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
The information we collect is required for the purpose of creating your Member Account, for you to enrol as member and gain access it the Sport and Fitness centre. Such information allows you to be identified as a member of The Sports and Fitness Centre and includes:
- Name, date of birth, gender, e-mail address, postal address, telephone number, health declaration and whether you require disabled access
- Your usage records and duration of visits
- Your preferences for particular products or services or interests when you tell us what they are – or when we assume what they are, depending on how you use our products and services
- Your contact with us, such as a note or recording of a call you make to our contact centre, an email or other records of any contact you have with us
- Your membership information – such as dates of payment owed and received, the services you use and any other information related to your account
As a student, each year that you enrol on a University of West London course you automatically become a member of the University of West London Students’ Union (UWLSU), unless you opt out during enrolment. The University of West London shares a register of members with us which includes information about you and your course. When the University gives us this data, we become responsible for it and will use this as our core central record of your membership. We may also use it when undertaking work for UWL that also fits within our core charitable purpose.
When you give it to us INDIRECTLY
HOW DO WE USE THIS INFORMATION?
We will use your personal information to provide you with the services, products or information that you have requested, for administration purposes, to improve your website experience, and marketing. We may need to share your information with our service providers, associated organisations and The University of West London. We may use your information to:
- Process your membership application through Exerp, our chosen membership software
- Process membership cards via UWL, who own the access rights to the building
- Bill you for using our services as part of your membership
- Keep you informed about our services including operational matters relating to your Membership
- Provide relevant services to you
- Confirm your attendance to exercise classes or lessons
- To allow you to monitor your gym usage in your members area
- To share gym event photos on our internal social media platforms (Your permission will be asked first before a picture is taken)
- Contact you with offers or promotions based on our analysis of how you use our services and what we think will be of interest to you (unless you choose not to receive our marketing messages)
- Respond to any questions or concerns you might have about our services
- Understand how you use our services, to help us develop relevant and updated services
- Carry out research and statistical analysis to monitor how customers use our services
- Prevent and detect fraud or other crimes
Changes to this statement
We may change this Privacy Statement from time to time. If we make any significant changes in the way, we treat your personal information we will make this clear on our Website or by contacting you directly.
If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please let us know by contacting email@example.com
Controlling what you want to hear about
We make it easy for you to tell us how you want us to communicate, in a way that suits you. Our forms have clear marketing preference questions and we include information on how to opt out when we send you marketing. If you don’t want to hear from us, that’s fine. Just let us know when you provide your data or contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keeping your information up to date
We mostly use the record of members provided by the University of West London to maintain accurate data about you as described above. We really appreciate it if you let us know if your contact details change.
Understanding the detail of our data security measures
When we process your data, we will have already carefully assessed the lawful justification for doing so, the parameters in which the data is processed, the length of time the data is held for, the secure storage of your data and undertaken impact assessments to ensure your rights are delivered. An overview of this analysis can be requested from us by emailing email@example.com.
The Students’ Union operates a Data Protection Policy. All employees and volunteers handling data are required to undertake General Data Protection training and third parties handling data are required to provide a contract which meets the requirements of the Information Commissioner's Office.
The Students’ Union does not store any sensitive card data on our systems following online transactions.
Your right to know what data we hold about you, make changes or ask us to stop using your data
You have a right to ask us to stop processing your personal data, and if it’s not necessary for the purpose you provided it to us for (e.g. processing your membership or registering you for an event) we will do so. Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org. if you have any concerns.
You have a right to ask for a copy of the information we hold about you. If there are any discrepancies in the information we provide, please let us know and we will correct them
Where we hold your data based on consent, you have a right to ask us to erase this data.
If you want to access your information, you can contact the Students’ Union, in person by post, by telephone, by email or via one of our social media platforms. Contact details for all of these are listed below.
When you tell us what information you want to access, we will be required to verify your identity before we are able to disclose this, and this must be done in person.
Designated Data Protection Officer: Amy Eden
University of West London Students Union
St Marys Road, Ealing W5 5RF
Paragon Building, Boston Manor Road, Brentford, TW8 9GA 10th Floor
Fountain House, 2 Queens Walk, Reading RG1 7QF
0208 231 2276