Chat with us
We are UWL’s Gaming Society. It is our vision to provide a platform for members to explore their passions for gaming, be that as a part of our esports teams, or as a casual player with a group of friends.
We want to give our members new experiences such as, going to events like EGX, or competing in LAN tournaments. We are a sociable society that is open to all students.
We often try to run social events on site or online and encourage working with other societies to broaden the horizons and prospects of our members.
We want members to not only take part in events scheduled by the committee but to also experience a more open community whilst studying at UWL and have the platform to host events of their own.
We have a balanced community, and we are actively becoming more diverse and representative of the wider student body at UWL.
When students purchase membership, you will receive an email which invites you to access the Gaming Society Discord Server and the WhatsApp channel. You will also get free entry to all events run internally on campus and discount for certain events run externally such as the red bull gaming sphere, Varsity, etc.
We are also currently working on providing our members feedback forms so they are more aware of leaving feedback and can openly suggest changes or events that the other members may like. We are doing this for this year to show that we are committed as a society and that we are also open to change.
Events and Activities
- Halloween Event in October
- Celebrating Black History in October
- Christmas event in December
- Valentine’s Day in February
- Women’s History Month in March
- Pop Up Events
- Meet and Greets in Freddie’s
- Mystery Events
- Esports tournaments through out the year!
- Dungeons and Dragons
You can reach us on any of the below:
Your committee this year consists of:
Ryan Benham - President & NUEL Rep Patrick Quinn - Social Secretary
Francesc Ventura-Herreras - Vice-President Klara Hartnell - Treasurer
COMMITTEE POSITIONS AVAILABLE
Below are the positions available when putting yourself forward for a committee position. Some groups may have additional roles to others, so make sure you check them out!
CHAIRPERSON - click here
- This role is new and includes elements of the President and Vice-Presidents roles. It’s been designed to incorporate some of the administration and face-to-face elements that go into running a society. This person will act as the face of the society and will lead by example!
GROUP ADMINISTRATOR - click here
- This role is a new role created to reduce the demand on the President and add value to the treasurer role, therefore, it includes elements of the Treasurer roles. It’s been designed to incorporate the behind-the-scenes administrative work and the financial elements that go into running a student group.
EVENTS MANAGER - click here
- This person will be responsible for motivating, organising and connecting the Student Groups members. They will provide a wide range and inspiring events throughout the year. They will plan events that bring the student group members together. and/or reward volunteers, are successes in order to ensure the future well-being of the Student Group.
COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER - click here
- This person will be responsible for the Student Group communication channels, (inc. Social Media, WhatsApp, Email, Facebook, Website etc....) are maintained and updated with relevant news stories and information. They will work with all committee members to effectively promote and publicise Student Group events, activities, social events, and any other activities, and to work with the Students’ Union to reward its members in order to ensure the future well-being of the club.
INCLUSION MANAGER - click here
- This person will be responsible for ensuring all activity is accessible for all members of the Student Group. They will break down perceived barriers that might occur when the Student Group is talking to new members, running events, posting social media, and to introduce more inclusive socials/activities and to call out any inappropriate behaviour in your Student Group/committee, making meetings more accessible, and being there to talk to people who have concerns.
COVID OFFICER - click here
- This is a new role in response to the Covid Pandemic. We will be working with you to ensure that your activity is Covid safe and that you are your members are aware of the latest GOV measures.
This position is perfect for those with a passion for Esports. Our team, West London Wyverns, needs someone who can manage them and represent them on the wider university circuit by engaging with the NUEL and NSE leagues and organising Esports opportunities for members of the society. It will be this roles responsibility to
- Organise teams for common Esports games such as, CS:GO, League of Legends and Rocket League
- Keep up to date with the NUEL and NSE, apply to become the NUEL Rep for UWL.
- Keep up to date with Streaming/Scrims/Tournaments and more opportunities for students
- Maintain the West London Wyvern brand image and expand into new ideas and merchandise
This position is great for those whose gaming passions lie in the rolling of dice, playing cards and painting miniatures. If roleplaying and wargames are your interest then this is the perfect opportunity for you to expand this area of society life. It will be the remit of this officer to oversee
- The current and future society property (such as Dungeons and Dragons starter kits or craft materials)
- Exploring tabletop and roleplaying venues and opportunities near and around the University (Covid compliant until no longer and issue)
- Moving into the online tabletop space and creating a community for people to share and explore new ideas around RPGs and Tabletop games and their associated activities
Do you enjoy recording peoples best gaming moments, creating engaging content for people to read and view, and maintaining a society webpage? Then do we have the role for you. Society Journalist is someone who has a keen passion for creating content, be that video production, article writing or photography it will be a space to explore new ideas and harness hidden talents. You will work closely with the communication officer to
- Maintain an active position on the society webpage (https://wyverns.london/) creating new content for people to read, watch, look at from outside the university
- Make the society page on the SU website look the best it can do
- Explore adding content to the society Youtube and Twitch pages (combined with Comms Officer to work on social media)
- Take photos or organise a photographer for society events
For the full description of the core roles (NOT THE SPECIALIST), head over to our webpage to take a look: click here
How do I nominate myself?
Nominating yourself couldn’t be easier!
All you need to do is write a short bio (up to 300 words) about who you are, what position you are running for, and why and fill out this google form: HERE