The UWL MMA society is open to everyone of all abilities, backgrounds and genders that are looking to learn self-defence, make friends and keep fit. The society teaches students three main aspects of martial arts:
- Striking (Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai etc)
- Jiu-Jitsu/BJJ (Groundwork and submissions)
- Wrestling (Grappling, Greco Roman, Judo etc)
Our club trains every Thursday in Studio 1 or Studio 2 at the UWL Sports Centre, 7:00 - 8:45 PM. We have a selection of gloves and focus pads available for training with or you are more than welcome to bring your own equipment. As well as training we arrange regular social events for our members to get together without their gloves on!
We are coached by the capable staff at 'In The Bag' PTC. Owned by Mr Nathan 'Bag & Tag' Jones, a professional MMA fighter in Cage Warriors and full-time coach.
With a membership fee of just £65, our club is a substantial saving in comparison to other Martial Arts gyms which often charge in excess of £65 per month!
As you progress in your training we would recommend that you invest in some of your own equipment such as Boxing/MMA Gloves; Mouth Guards; Shin pads; head guards and compression clothing. If you need information regarding where to find equipment we will be more than happy to point you in the right direction. We also have club t-shirts available, speak to a committee member if you are interested in getting one.
As MMA is a sport we will occasionally host friendly club competitions, there is no obligation to compete if you do not want to, you can just come along and have fun, learn new skills and get involved with like-minded people whilst getting in shape at the same time.
Follow us on Instagram and Facebook @uwlmma
We look forward to seeing you on the mats!
Below are the positions available when putting yourself forward for a committee position. Some groups may have additional roles to others, so make sure you check them out!
GROUP ADMINISTRATOR - Click Here
- This role is a new role created to reduce the demand on the President and add value to the treasurer role, therefore, it includes elements of the Treasurer roles. It’s been designed to incorporate the behind-the-scenes administrative work and the financial elements that go into running a student group.
CLUB CAPTAIN - Click Here
- This role is new and includes elements of the President & Captains roles. It’s been designed to incorporate the on-field direction and the organisational elements that go into running a successful sports club on and off the field of play. This person doesn’t need to be the best player, but more of a leader who has a vision for the club. Club captains will be assisted by team captains where applicable.
For the full description of the core roles, head over to our webpage to take a look: click here
How do I nominate myself?
Nominating yourself couldn’t be easier!
All you need to do is write a short bio (up to 300 words) about who you are, what position you are running for, and why and fill out this google form: HERE