Tuesday 27 October 2020
6pm - 7:30pm
To celebrate Black Excellence Month here at UWL, we are hosting an opportunity to take part in an activism workshop, facilitated by Sofia Akel.
Sofia is an Education Activist and Researcher, campaigning and leading work to tackle institutional racism in education. In addition to her activism, Sofia has also lectured at top UK and international Universities. Her work on race equality has won her multiple awards including the Powerlist’s Future Leaders Award and Campaign of the Year!
Sofia recently worked with BAFTA award winning director Aneil Karia and actor and musician Kano on his short film/performance ‘Teardrops’ highlighting the disproportionate deaths of Black people in police custody in the UK.
As well as many other huge achievements, Sofia also established her University’s branch of the ‘Why is my Curriculum White’ campaign to decolonise Higher Education, as well as creating a student-led organisation to tackle racial employment discrimination. She is passionate about supporting grassroots organising, and mentor’s student activists across the UK.
This amazing workshop is not to be missed!
The session will entail the following:
- Understanding how anti-Black racism can manifest in Higher Education and how you can tackle it.
- Understanding what activism is and how you can help in a multitude of ways, regardless of your field of expertise.
- Getting into anti-racist campaigning on campus and finding your voice (how to start, organise, and carry out campaigns).
This is a great opportunity to find out all of the ways you can make a difference! Whether you are new to activism, or it’s something you are already familiar with, you will develop some lifelong skills and attitudes to educate others!
You are powerful agents for change, and we can’t wait to meet you!
You will be able to purchase a FREE ticket until the 25th October at 5pm and tickets will be sent out to attendees on the 26th October
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us: email@example.com
Terms and Conditions for Events
Here at UWLSU we operate a series of Terms and Conditions for our events. This is both for your safety, security and licensing reasons. Please note that by attending one of our events, ticketed or not, you agree to the below terms and conditions.
Section 1: Purchase of a ticket or wristband is subject to the following terms and conditions;
1. You need a valid ticket/wristband to get in to see the show/event.
2. The venue management and/or event promoter (UWLSU) reserves the right to refuse admission. If you arrive late to an advertised last entry time, this constitutes grounds for a refusal of admission.
3. Please do not be offended if the venue management or promoter requests to see the contents of your bag. For certain events, the management also reserve the right to conduct security searches on admission by trained members of the security team.
4. Only in the event of the show/event being cancelled will your ticket be refunded.
5. Reselling a ticket or wristband for commercial gain will result in the ticket being invalid and non-refundable.
6. Sometimes the promoter (UWLSU) or event manager may need to make alterations to the advertised details of the performance/event at short notice. If this happens, the promoter (UWLSU) is not required to issue a refund or exchange of tickets/wristbands.
7. If allocated seats/areas have been issued to you, the venue manager or promoter (UWLSU) reserve the right to change this without refund.
8. By purchasing a ticket/wristband you are affirming your consent to the filming and/or sound recording of you as a member of the public whilst on the premises.
9. We are sorry if any of your personal property is lost or damaged whilst in attendance of the event, however the promoter (UWLSU) and/or the venue is not responsible for personal belongings you choose to bring to an event.
10. The unauthorised use of any professional camera, video camera or any other sort of recording equipment is strictly prohibited.
11. The venue and/or promoter holds the right to amend additional terms and conditions without notification to ticketholders.
Section 2 - Upon entry to one of our events, you adhere to the following;
1.1. Management always reserve the right of refusal upon your entry.
1.2. Management always reserve the right to remove you from the venue without reason.
2. You agree to be photographed and/or filmed whilst in attendance.
3. UWLSU operates a strict Challenge 21 policy, if you look under 21 you will be asked to prove your age.
4. UWLSU is not responsible for the actions of outside contractors, such as Security staff. We apologise if you have a problem with one of our contractors and we ensure all members of contactor staff are fully qualified and in a position to be working for us, however we cannot accept any responsibility for their actions.
5. You will not be served alcohol is you appear to be too drunk.
6. You agree to follow instructions given by members of the UWLSU team.
7. You understand that any cloakroom operated means that valuables are left at your own risk.